Australian Flying Corps Memorial
Over 60 years ago the members of the Australian Flying Corps Association (AFCA), which, in Victoria, later became the Australian Flying Corps Branch of RAAFA, contemplated a memorial over a number of years and finally settled upon the present design and chose Point Cook as its location.
The memorial was given into the custody of the RAAF at a ceremony on 16 November 1938. The presentation was made by Mr A. E (later Sir Albert) Chadwick and accepted by Chief of the Air Staff, AVM (later AIRMSHL Sir Richard) Williams (extreme right in the photo below). Thereafter members of the AFCA made an annual pilgrimage to the Memorial in November, as close as practicable to the anniversary of the World War 1 armistice, because its original purpose was to pay tribute to the members of the Australian Flying Corps who served during that conflict.