AFC Annual Pilgrimage to RAAF Base Point Cook - 11 November
Our annual pilgrimage to Point Cook will be different this year: a message from Air Force Association - Victoria President, Max McGregor.
We were advised by Air Force in early July that the old Officers' Mess would not be available due to refurbishment works commencing in order to have the Mess in top condition for the 100th anniversary of the Air Force in 2021. No other facility to host our luncheon or dinner was available, and in addition 21 SQN could not support our function the Sunday before Remembrance Day.
Air Force has generously proposed a joint (Air Force and AFA Victoria) Commemorative event be held at Point Cook on Monday 11 November. While not what we have experienced in the past, this kind invitation will allow our Annual Pilgrimage to take place.
There have been changes since this invitation was first made. We have recently been advised that the old Officers' Mess will now be available due to the planned works not commencing as originally planned, however, there was not sufficient time to consider any possible alternatives to what had initially been agreed.
The Air Force's plan for the Commemoration this year has almost been completed and the following details have been provided so that our AFA Victoria members know what will take place and be able top plan accordingly. Should there are any further changes i, we will inform all our members promptly.
Significant Event Details
- All attending will need to be seated on the Parade Ground by 1030h.
- The service will commence at 1040h, and conclude just after 1100h.
- Luncheon will be served in the old Officers Mess.
- After the lunch there will be a book launch. Written by SQNLDR Steve Campbell-Wright, the book is titled “An Interesting Pointy” and it covers some of the history of Point Cook.
- All AFA Victoria members and guests attending are required to submit their names to Barb Stallard (firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 03 9813 4600) by Thursday 7 November 2019 to facilitate access to the base. It would be appreciated if members and their guests planning on attending to advise Barb as early as possible for planning purposes.
I hope to see you there, for it will be a wonderful opportunity for AFA Victoria members to meet and socialise with current serving Air Force personnel.
Max McGregor, President
Air Force Association - Victoria