POINT COOK PILGRIMAGE COMMEMORATION
From: Monday November 11, 2019, 10:30 am
To: Monday November 11, 2019, 2:30 pm
ANNUAL PILGRIMAGE TO POINT COOK
11 November 2019
As advised in the latest edition of Contact, our annual pilgrimage to Point Cook will be different this year. We were advised by Air Force in early July that the old Officers Mess would not be available due to refurbishment works commencing in order to have the mess in top condition for the 100th anniversary of the Air Force in 2021. No other facility to host our luncheon or dinner was available, and in addition 21 SQN could not support our function the Sunday before Remembrance Day. Air Force then generously proposed a joint (Air Force and AFA-Vic) Commemorative function be held at Point Cook on Monday 11 November. While not what we have experienced in the past, at least this offer allowed our annual pilgrimage to take place.
There have been changes since this advice and offer was first made. The most significant is that the old Officers Mess will now be available due to the planned works not commencing as originally planned. This information has only very recently been communicated to AFA-Vic, and there was just not sufficient time to consider any possible alternatives to what had initially been agreed.
The plan being prepared by Air Force for the commemoration this year has almost been completed, but the following details have been provided so that AFA-Vic members understand what will take place. If there are any further changes in the plan, we will inform all members promptly.
- All attending will need to be seated on the Parade Ground by 1030h.
- The service will commence at 1040h, and conclude just after 1100h.
- Luncheon will be served in the old Officers Mess.
- After the lunch there will be a book launch. Written by SQNLDR Steve Campbell-Wright, the book is titled “An Interesting Pointy” and it covers some of the history of Point Cook.
- All AFA-Vic members and guests attending will be required to submit their names to Barb Stallard (email@example.com or 03 9813 4600) by Thursday 7 November 2019 so that they can be forwarded to the guard room to facilitate access to the base. It would be appreciated if members and their guests planning on attending to advise Barb as early as possible for planning purposes.
I hope to see you there, for it will be an opportunity for AFA-Vic members to meet and socialise with current serving personnel.
VenueRAAF BASE - POINT COOK
PARADE GROUND, POINT COOK VIC 3030